Friday, October 16, 2009

Six Miles From Bangor: The Story of Donaghadee by W.G. Pollock



I have finally located and acquired a copy of this little out-of-print book about Donaghadee, the hometown of James Munce. One of James Munce's poems is actually included in the book. I went hunting on the internet after re-reading some of the notes I had in my family history file from Jeanette's trip to Northern Ireland.

I have taken the time to scan every page in the book, lay out the pages in their original formate using InDesign, and then created a pdf file so everyone can download a copy of the book to read and reference at their convenience. Downloadable a pdf file of the entire book by clicking here.

~~Cindy Garber Iverson

Addendum from Jeanette:

"I bought this book some years ago on the computer from a book seller in Northern Ireland and when I was in Donagadee in 2001 I went to the Library and was going to photo-copy some of the book as James Munce was in there with one of his poems. Anyway, we went to lunch at the hotel and then went across to this little store opposite. I asked if they had a copy of the book. They informed me that they had no copies. There was this lovely gentleman there, and he said to me that he knew William Pollock and that he lived around the corner just down the street. He walked down the street with Graham and I and around the corner to this house that was right on the road -- knocked on the door and out came William Pollock. He was an elderly gentleman. He talked to me about the book and the research that he had done on James Munce. I tried everywhere to get a copy of the book -- but managed to get it when I came home."

No comments: